Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Things Are NOT Always What They Appear

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    These are a "first sighting" for me. No afilliation and all appropriate caveats.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/CTS-VINTAGE-SPEA...QQcmdZViewItem

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bowtie427ss:
    These are a "first sighting" for me. No afilliation and all appropriate caveats.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I saw those, too. I wonder if they were re-coned with Altec parts at some point in the past. The frames are the typical Magnavox design that CTS built a lot of...... I assume the design originated with Magnavox since the earlier woofers have the Magnavox EIA code, and the later ones a CTS code. I think these are the biggest square magnets that I've seen.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a "new one" for me too! Sure looks Altec-ish, but with a 2" VC, it can't be.

    Don't know the exact sizes, but the square mags on Jensen's C15LL and some of McIntosh's (by United) early '70's 12" woofs are nearly that large, if not the same.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Things Are NOT Always What They Appear


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    That's actually a semi-common speaker.

    Kustom used them, Eminence used that same dustcap on several units. Most of the stuff I saw like this was around '75. Eminence switched to back vents soon. CTS continued that design but with round magnests.

    That's a 54 ounce I believe- CTS and Eminence both used it... I had somme custom CTS jobs that had 2 of them stacked to make 108 ounces.

    Yes, I do think they were deliberately made to look like Altecs.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Those baskets and 102-108 oz square magnets are also very similar to some Oaktrons from the late 70's/early 80's. I also remember in the very early days of MCM Electronics they sold some speakers from a company by the name of Becker. They offered a very heavy duty family (12", 15", and 18') with stamped baskets, again very similar, and the same or similar square magnets. But instead of the "Altec type" vented dustcap, they had a chrome vented cap.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    saw a 15 with big square magnet in a hammond leslie unit [sp]

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    [QB]That's a "new one" for me too! Sure looks Altec-ish, but with a 2" VC, it can't be.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have no doubt that it is an actual CTS product. We just normally don't see CTS labeled products, as they did a lot of OEM work, just as Eminence does today..... The founder of Eminence actually came from CTS, I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for a reconer to mix an Altec cone and surround, during a rebuild.


    Don't know the exact sizes, but the square mags on Jensen's C15LL
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jensen! I forgot they used square magnets at times, too. None, of my Jensens use them, However.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.